Sunday, 4 March 2012

Post Trip #1

Wow what an great few weeks! I had my first group of college participants (12 in all) from Eastern Canada. We went into the outskirts of the Masai Mara into a community call Salabwek.

As it was my first trip into the field I was amazed by the beautiful scenery on the drive out. We stopped at the rift valley lookout - my inner anthropologist had a 'nerdy' moment! I was so excited that I ended up telling the group a lot more than might have been necessary about the important of this valley in human evolution. After passing the town of Narrock, houses became more and more sparse and blended into the beautiful traditional houses of Kipsigi and Masai tribes - the first being rounded with a thatched peaked roof and a protruding support beam at its peak, and the second flatter, more square cow dung homes. I will try and post some photos of this soon! The other unique feature in this landscape is the fences that are made from candelabra(?) cacti, a bright green, spiky cactus that contains a very acidic milk. We finally switched to a large safari lory and completed the bumpy and dusty journey to the mobile camp.

The participants were lovely, challenging, and energetic young men and women and I really enjoyed my time with the group. I was personally challenged to loosen up and be a little more goofy and carefree than I have been in the last few years, and I have to say I am so grateful for that, as I haven't really laughed as hard as on this trip in a long time. I feel like my lesson from the next 9 months is to remember to love what you do and make it FUN! As soon as I returned to the house in Nairobi I was greeted by my roommates with home made fruit punch, and a house volleyball game in our backyard. Usually I would have made up some excuse to just watch people play volleyball, but this time I was so welcomed and encouraged to play that I even dawned the all black uniform (completed with a purple cape and goggles) and got onto the court? field? and started playing. The AMAZING thing is that I actually turn out to be a good player, and really had a blast.

So my journey continues,  I will be out on 4 or more trips in the next 2 months, and although I have a lot to learn about the organization etc.. I really am looking forward to all the work and fun!

Ohhh and one last thing... I learnt how to make rope from sisal and made some bracelets and anklets for the group! Below is a picture of the plant (related to aloe) and the fibre extracted by pulling the sections through two angled pieces of wood.



Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.
Sai Baba

No comments:

Post a Comment